Saturday, November 13, 2010

Now that the weather is getting colder...




I thought I would share some summertime camping pix that I am actually just getting around to downloading...umm, so anyway...

My sisters are NUTS-cuckoo-loo loo-crazy-mad-WILD! And every year I seem to get caught up in their outrageous scheme. (Ok, I admit, I am just as nuts as they are!)




They go camping with ALL their children (13 this summer, plus my 3...!) The husbands appear to have some sense and they stay home to "work". hmmm




We load up our vehicles with a week's worth of food, clothes, toys, bedding and camping supplies that makes our neighbors stare and our husbands actually giggle as they wave us off for a week of relaxation "work".

We set up at least 6 tents, two canopies, and always try to get the same very shady campsite right across the trail from the river.

We have been lucky two years in a row and have the best camp spot ever. There is enough room for the little boys to have a "Bat Cave" (ask us about that when you see us); a play tent for the babies; tables for games, food and supplies; tarps for skits; a clothesline for all the swim suits and towels; trees to lean all the scooters, bikes and floaty tubes up against; and 20-something camp chairs that are constantly being moved from here to there.

The food is pretty much free-for-all. You have to get your share early in the game or you might have to share with the little children who apparently like to swish their hands in the dirt...

As crazy as all this sounds, we sisters actually have a great time. The kids run wild for a week, we eat whatever we want, read, play games, cool off with the "Mommy River Run", and VISIT!

This year Melody brought her cute dog, Gracie. Gracie loved floating down the river and she did it so many times it WORE HER OUT!


Sometimes the husbands come up to make sure their children are still alive. Sometimes they come up to play with fire. Sometimes they come up to get/bring food. Sometimes they come up just to get a hug.


This year Meg took the kids on a snipe hunt. I have to say, I was just as disappointed as the kids were when they made it back to camp WITHOUT a snipe.

Mom did not come up this year and we missed her. She was very brave, though, and offered to help watch William. Who was 2. Who loves to run. Who runs fast. Who won't stop. She was alive at the end of the week but I think we need to replenish her duct tape supply...

It was fun to be with everyone and we always hope more people will join us but I think our fanatical ways scare them off. "The more the merrier" I always say!

No comments: