Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Read any good books lately?

We love to read books at our house. This year I decided to read books to Hunter. We started with "I am David" formerly titled "North to Freedom" by Anne Holm. We sat together on the mini sofa and had nice little together times. He's not my snuggly little boy any more and it was great to reconnect with him like this. When we finished the book, I wrote him a note in the front cover so he might remember when we shared this story together. We are now reading "Summer of the Monkeys" by Wilson Rawls. Hunter read some to me when I was sick. He giggled so much though we had to re-read some of it! Maddie wandered in to listen a time or two and Jeff would pretend to be doing other things but would make comments once in a while! I think my next book choice will be "The Great Brain" series by John D. Fitzgerald. Last year when we drove to Yellowstone we read "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" by C.S. Lewis. Do you have any other suggestions for us? Enjoy every moment you have with loved ones. I'm just sayin.

2 comments:

Crystl said...

Some of my favorite books when I was younger were

Incident at Hawks Hill-This is about a young boy who gets lost and crawls into a badger den. The mother badger adopts him and he lives with her for several months.

True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle-This one's about a young girl who stows away on a ship and they catch her and make her work on the ship.

The Iceberg Hermit-A young man is on a whaling ship when it crashes. He is the only survivor and has to figure out how to survive until another whaling ship comes along.

Holes I read as an adult and it's a good one too. It's pretty much like the movie, but I'll bet it'll be fun to read outloud.

I have all these if you'd like to borrow them.

I've also read some that I thought were just okay. "The Penderwicks" was a cute story about 3 sisters and what happens on their summer vacation. "The Westing Game" was a good mystery story. It was interesting, but I was clueless as to the solution of the mystery. Hehehe, good story anyway. I read "Inkheart" and was disappointed at the ending. Someone told me that the second book fixes the hanging ending and is a better book than the first. So you'd have to read them both I think to feel satisfied.

A good fantasy series for young readers is the Belgariad. The first book is called "Pawn of Prophecy" by David Eddings. This was required reading in order to join the Naylor family. They're very good books, very classic with Wizards, Wizard Apprentice, Fighters, Fiesty Sorceress, and Spoiled Princess. I should read these again too.

I've been wanting to read the Great Brain books again too. I only have the first one, but I want to get them all so we can have them in our house. I'm just sayin'.

pat said...

A great classic series is the Little Britches books. They are based on the author's life beginning when he was about 10. They are real homey.